Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone! I hope you have some barbecues, sunshine, and relaxation in your near future. You've earned it!
Can I just share that yesterday I had one of those days that reminded me of why I decided to become a nurse? I was working on the cardiac floor of my hospital with some of the most amazing patients. The most beautiful and challenging thing about working in a hospital is trying to care for all different kinds of people who are dealing with difficult situations. Some are getting life-changing news. Some are coping with chronic conditions but are hopeful about a new treatment. Some are just homesick. Some are lonely, confused, or bored of sitting in their rooms and watching TV for days on end. Some are embarrassed to be needing so much care. Some are hopeful for the future. Some are not.
I am not a hugg-y type of person but, yesterday, I shared a few heartfelt hugs with patients and family members on my way out the door.
And another nursing miracle just happened as I was writing...I got comp! For those non-nurses out there, that means that the hospital is overstaffed and so my request to stay at home for part or all of the day was granted. So my weekend starts now!
Here are some of my favorite things from online for the week:
Memorial Day sales! I got a little excited for some deals out there and now I've got some packages on their way to my house (hey, they're all from ethical companies so it's totally justifiable, right???):
- Beklina is offering 50% their final sale section to newsletter subscribers with the checkout code "extra50off". I ordered this adorable AANDD Pyramid Pouch for a deep discount (it's no longer on the Beklina site so I'm guessing it must be sold out!)
- Better World Books is offering 50% off when you buy 5+ books from their bargain bin. I found some great options from my reading list in there. But hurry, the sale ends soon!
- Alternative Apparel is offering 40% their final sale section. Browse some great finds there!
- I also took advantage or REI's semi-annual sale to get myself a much-needed new rock-climbing harness at 20% off and new pair of my absolute favorite underwear in the world.
Other favorites from this week:
- More Memorial Day Sales and a smoothie recipe from
- Dreaming of new linen bedding for summer
- Lemon Poppyseed Pasta Salad!
- Curious about this organic and reasonably-priced skincare company
- This post just inspired me to do a little aimless wandering
- Gluten-free Mediterranean Flatbread
- Pilates for better posture
I hope everyone enjoys their long weekends! I'd love to hear what you've been up to this week!